- Last updated on .
- Hits: 7033
International airports South France for cheap flights 2023
There are 10 international airports in South France with regular services from UK, Ireland, Sweden, Norway, continental Europe, Canada and USA. The list of international airports in South France includes Nice and Toulon airports in Cote d'Azur, Marseille and Avignon airports in Provence, and Nimes, Montpellier, Beziers, Carcassonne and Perpignan airports in the Languedoc. Most of these airports have taken great strides in recent years to develop greater passenger facilities.
The 2023 flights schedule to these South of France airports is now published and here we highlight the cheapest flight routes to South France and the frequency of the flights.
Cheap flights to South France
Although most of these airports in South France were originally developed by Air France, it is undoubtedly the presence of low cost carriers such as TUI, Ryanair and Easyjet, who have really opened up the international flights to the South of France.
When we first started traveling to the South of France, 25-30 years ago, you were lucky if you could get a flight to Nice or Marseille direct from one of the larger airports in the UK. Or alternatively, you had to route via Paris.
Even when we started our website business in France over 17 years ago, I would say that still around 50% of our customers took the long drive down from Ireland and the UK. Now it is less than 10% - although we did have some Norwegian guests last year who drove down from Oslo, but they vowed never to do it again!
Nowadays, you can fly direct to the South of France from over 240 destinations. This has resulted in a major boom in the tourism industry in the South of France, especially in the Languedoc region. The growth of these international airports, especially in Montpellier, Beziers and Carcassonne has opened up a whole new area to explore in Southern France.
In 2022, tourist numbers to France returned to pre-Covid levels, with nearly 90 million visitors coming to the country, making it the most visited country in the World. It is estimated that tourism in France accounts for €100 billion euros of income 8% for French GDP and leads directly or indirectly to 2 million jobs in the tourism and hotel & catering sector. The next couple of years promise to be even busier for tourism in France, with the Rugby World Cup taking place in the Autumn of 2023 and Paris hosting the Olympics in 2024.
Low cost airports in South of France
A lot of these airports were formerly naval or air force bases. The flight path system in France was traditionally heavily routed via Paris, with Air France running a number of connecting internal flights to places like Toulouse, Bordeaux, Lyon and Nice. Bur airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet were able to work with some of these smaller regional airfields and agree lower landing fees, in exchange for a guaranteed number of flights and passengers per year. The lower landing fees, enabled the low cost fares, which then helped to fuel the demand from passengers. The regional governments in France jumped at the chance to develop the airport infrastructure to cater for the influx of tourists and the accompanying rise in spending in the area. The development of the airport services and increasing flight routes, would in turn then help open up the area to international businesses and inward investment. In particular, the airports in Montpellier, Carcassonne and Perpignan have all undergone major refurbishments in the last 5 years.
Nice international airport France - cheap flight routes
Nice airport is the the largest airport in South France. It currently serves more that 100 destinations, with direct flights to South France from:
- Ryanair flies to Nice airport France from UK (London Stansted); and Ireland (Dublin).
- Easyjet flies to Nice airport France, from Holland (Amsterdam); Germany (Berlin); UK (Belfast, Bristol, Edinburgh, London Luton and London Gatwick, Manchester); and Belgium (Brussels).
- Air France/KLM operate regular flights to London Heathrow, Holland (Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Eindhoven); Spain (Madrid) and throughout France and Europe.
- Norwegian Air flies to Nice airport France from Denmark (Aalsborg), Norway (Alesund, Alta, Andenes and Oslo)
- Lufthansa and German Wings, provide flights to Nice airport France from Berlin, Hamburg, Cologne, Dusseldorf and Frankfurt.
Nice also provides a direct flight from and to North America (New York) with Delta airways.
The stunning coastline around Nice has been attracting holidaymakers for over 200 years. There are also many things to do and see in Nice itself. Nice has more museums and art galleries than any other city in France outside of Paris. Nice airport provides quick access to the local motorway and public transport network. This collection of villas and apartments near Nice France, can all be accessed in under 30 minutes:
Toulon airport South France
Toulon is a former military airport located just outside the seaside town of Hyeres. The airport is still shared with the French Navy.
Toulon is predominantly a domestic airport, with regular flights to Paris, Lyon and Bordeaux, but some smaller carriers do provide services to Rotterdam, Charleroi Dublin and London airports.
- Ryanair has regular flights to Toulon airport from London Stansted and Dublin.
- Easyjet flies to Toulon airport from London Gatwick (1 June to 30 September, 2 flights per week)
- Transavia runs 4 flights a week from Rotterdam airport in Holland to Toulon airport South France on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.
Flights to Beziers France international airports 2023
The Béziers Cap d’Agde airport in the Languedoc is a small airport that has expanded its international flights rapidly since 2010. The airport now receives over 250,000 passengers per year. Cheap flights to Beziers airport France can be found from 9 international destinations:
- Paris Beauvais,
- Bristol UK,
- London UK,
- Manchester, UK,
- Edinburgh, UK,
- Dusseldorf Weeze, Germany
- Stockholm Skavsta, Sweden
- Brussels, Belgium
All of these flights are operated by Ryanair. Beziers airport is located just a short taxi ride from Beziers city centre and it is also has a regular bus service to local towns such as Agde, Cap d'Agde, Vias and Marseillan. There is a small selection of car hire operators at Beziers airport.
Summer 2023 flights from UK to Beziers airport France
This is the summer 2023 schedule of Ryanair flights to Beziers airport in South France:
- Edinburgh airport to Beziers airport (Monday and Thursday flights - 1 June to 30 September)
- Bristol airport to Beziers airport (Sunday and Wednesday flights - 27 March to 26 October 2023; + Monday and Friday flights - 1 June to 30 September)
- London Luton to Beziers airport (Sunday and Wednesday flights - all year)
- London Stansted to Beziers airport France (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday flights - 1 June to 30 September)
- Manchester airport to Beziers airport (Monday and Thursday flights - 27 March to 26 October 2023; + Saturday flights - 1 June to 30 September)
Beziers airport is just 10 kms from the Mediterranean coast and there are many popular beach resorts such as Cap d'Agde, Serignan Plage, Marseillan and Portiragnes all close-by; it is easy to see why Beziers airport has grown so rapidly over the last few years. But Beziers is not all about beaches, the surrounding area is one of the largest wine-producing regions in France and you can can find many holiday homes for rent in quaint little villages surrounded by the vineyards.
See our range of Bezeirs holiday homes South France for rent this summer:
Cheap flights to Carcassonne France international airport in 2023
I think that Carcassonne airport must be a hidden secret, because we often get customers asking us where the nearest airport to Carcassonne is. Either that or the PR Manager at Carcassonne airport needs to be fired. Carcassonne is a small regional airport that like Beziers airport, has grown rapidly in recent years thanks to Ryanair. Cheap flights to Carcassonne airport can be found from the following destinations:
- Bournemouth, UK (Ryanair)
- Porto, Portugal (Ryanair)
- Cork, Ireland (Ryanair)
- Cagliari, Sardinia (Ryanair)
- London, UK (Ryanair)
- Charlrroi, Belgium (Ryanair)
- Dublin, Ireland (Ryanair)
- East Midlands, UK (Ryanair)
Summer 2023 flights to Carcassonne international airport France
This is the 2023 summer schedule of Ryanair flights to Carcassonne airport in South France. We have highlighted the Saturday flights to coincide with holiday villas that have a Saturday changeover during the high season:
- East Midlands airport to Carcassonne airport (Monday and Thursday flights during 1 June to 326 October 2023)
- Edinburgh airport to Carcassonne airport (Monday and Thursday flights from 1 June to 28 September 2023)
- Bournemouth airport to Carcassonne airport (Monday and Friday flights from 1 May to 27 October 2023)
- London Stansted to Carcassonne airport (Friday and Sunday flights all year round; + Monday and Wednesday flights during 27 March-28 Oct 2023; + Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday flights during 1 June-30 Sept 2023)
- Dublin airport to Carcassonne airport (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday flights - from 25 March to 28 October 2023)
Carcassonne is a great area to be based in for a family holiday in South France. With the impressive fortified Castle in Carcassonne, numerous Cathar ruins and the Canal du Midi all on your doorstep; you will never be short of things to do. All the holiday villas we advertise near Carcassonne are under 35 kms from Carcassonne airport, so you can step off your plane and be in your accommodation within 30 minutes. See our range of Carcassonne villas South France to rent this summer:
Cheap flights to Montpellier airport South France
Montpellier airport is the largest and most developed of the Languedoc airports. Due to the demand from business travellers, Montpellier airport is a regional hub for Air France, as well as Ryanair and Easyjet. In addition, Montpellier airport also operates flights to the main cities in Europe, including London Stansted, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Lisbon and Copenhagen. Montpellier also operates a schedule of flights to North Africa (Morocco and Algeria). Cheap flights to Montpellier airport South France can be found from the following destinations:
- Algeria, Algers & Oran;
- Morocco, Casablanca, Fez, Marrakech and Nador.
- Belgium, Charleroi.
- Denmark, Copenhagen.
- Corsica - Ajaccio & Bastia,
- Croatia - Pula & Dubrovnik
- France: Brest, Caen, Lille, Lyon, Nantes, Rennes, Paris & Strasbourg
- Germany: Berlin and Frankfurt
- Greece, Athens and Heraklion.
- Holland: Amsterdam & Rotterdam
- Italy: Rome
- Portugal - Lisbon.
- Spain: Madrid and Seville
- Sweden: Stockholm
- Switzerland: Basel-Mulhouse
- Tunisia: Tunis
- UK: London Gatwick and London Luton
2023 cheap flights to Montpellier airport South France
This is the schedule of 2023 cheap flights to Montpellier airport in South France. We have highlighted the Saturday flights to coincide with holiday villas that have a Saturday changeover during the high season:
- London Gatwick airport to Montpellier airport (Monday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday flights - all year; + Daily flights - 15 February to 30 November 2023)
- London Luton to Montpellier airport France (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday (2 flights) - 27 June to 2 September 2023)
Montpellier, France, is a great city to visit for a long weekend break or a summer vacation. Montpellier has it all. The beaches are just 10 km from the city centre. It is surrounded by beautiful countryside. The historic centre of the city is full of life and has excellent restaurants, bars and shops. There are many cultural activities including a world famous art gallery (Musee Fabre), a stunning Opera house, live music venues and summer arts festivals covering film, dance, theatre and classical music. You have all of this, plus 300 days of sunshine a year! It is easy to see why Montpellier has become the fastest growing city in France.
Visit our collection of Montpellier apartments and villas to rent in France for a weekend break or summer vacation:
Cheap flights to Perpignan France international airport Southern France
Perpignan airport is the Southern most international airport in mainland France. Perpignan airport has recently undergone a much need refurbishment and it has expanded its schedule of flights. Cheap flights to Perpignan airport can be found from the following destinations:
- Marrakech, Morocco (Ryanair)
- Agadir, Morocco (Ryanair)
- Paris Orly (Air France)
- Nantes, France (Air France)
- Lille, France (Air France)
- Brussels-Charleroi, Belgium (with Ryanair)
- London Stansted, UK (with Ryanair)
- Birmingham, UK (with Ryanair)
- Leeds-Bradford, UK (Ryanair)
- Dublin, Ireland (Aer Lingus)
2023 Summer flights from UK to Perpignan airport France
This is the schedule of 2023 flights to Perpignan airport in South France:
- Birmingham airport to Perpignan airport (Thursday and Sunday flights - during 1 Jun-26 Oct 2023)
- Leeds-Bradford to Perpignan airport (Thursday and Sunday flights - during 1 Jun-26 Oct 2023)
- London Stansted to Perpignan airport France (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday flights - during 26 Mar-27 Oct 2023)
- Dublin airport to Perpignan airport (Monday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday flights - 3 May-30 Sept 2023)
We have a great range of properties to rent within 30 minutes drive of Perpignan airport, many close to the beautiful beaches on the Cote Vermeille. Visit our collection of Perpignan villas to rent in Southern France.
Cheap flights to Nimes South France international airport
This former naval airbase has been developed into Nîmes Airport in recent years. Nimes airport or Nîmes–Alès–Camargue–Cévennes Airport or Garons Airport or Nîmes Garons Airport (I prefer just Nimes airport!!), is located 9 km south-southeast of the city of Nîmes in the village of Saint-Gilles near Garons.
The airport operates flights in to the Provence region, Avignon, Arles, the Camargue, the Cévennes and the wider Gard department. It has some commercial flight services, operated by Ryanair and it also serves as a naval air base.
Cheap flights to Nimes airport can be found from the following destinations:
- London Stansted and Edinburgh, UK
- Brussels, Belgium
- Fez and Marrakech, Morocco
- Porto, Portugal
- Dublin, Ireland
Summer 2023 flights from UK to Nimes international airport France
This is the 2023 schedule of Ryanair summer flights to Nimes airport in South France:
- London Stansted airport to Nimes airport (Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday flights - from 28 March to 28 October 2023)
- Edinburgh airport to Nimes airport (Wednesday and Saturday flights - from 28 March to 28 October 2023)
Dublin airport to Nimes airport (Monday and Thursday flights - from 1 May to 26 October 2023)
The area surrounding Nimes was an important settlement during Roman times and there are some beautiful archaeological sites to see. You have your choice of the Pont du Gard Roman aqueduct, the amphitheatre and Maison Carree in Nimes and other sites in nearby towns such as Arles, Uzes and Sommieres. Also on your doorstep you have St-Remy-de-Provence, Avignon, Aigues-Mortes, Anduze and Beau-de-Provence. Nimes airport provides quick access to the local motorway and this collection of villas near Nimes France, can all be accessed in under 30 minutes:
Cheap flights to Avignon Southern France international airports
Avignon airport, just on the northern border of Languedoc Roussillon is the airport providing cheap flights to Provence. Avignon airport is located in the village of Montfavet, 8 kilometres southeast of Avignon. The facilities are a little sparse, but then benefit is that you can get on and off your flight pretty quickly. Cheap flights to Avignon airport can be found with Flybe from Birmingham, UK.
Cheap flights to Avignon international airport France during 2023
Avignon airport in South France is quite handy to reach holiday villas in Provence and the Nimes area of France. There is a motorway link between Avignon and Nimes, Provence and Cote d'Azur. The travel time is under 50 minutes. Flybe flies direct to Avignon airport in South France from 3 UK airports. This is the 2023 summer schedule of flights to Avignon airport in South France:
- Birmingham airport to Avignon airport France (Saturday flights; during 20 May to 9 September 2023)
Marseille-Provence international airport France 2023 flights
Marseille airport is located on the Western edge of the city and you get a lovely view over the Etang de Berre and the Mont Puget mountain as you fly in. In fact, in 1975, the runway at Marseille airport was extended 500 metres out into the lake, to enable the airport to receive larger planes.
Marseille airport is the fifth busiest airport in France (by passenger numbers) and third largest for cargo traffic. The airport serves over 132 destinations and receives nearly 9 million passenger journeys.
During the summer holiday season Easyjet flies to Marseille-Provence airport from 3 destinations in the UK.
- London Gatwick to Marseille-Provence airport (daily flights - during 13 February to 30 November 2023)
- Glasgow airport to Marseille-Provence airport (Saturday and Wednesday flights - during 28 June to 2 September 2023)
- Bristol airport to Marseille-Provence airport (Saturday and Thursday flights- during 30 March to 28 October 2023)
Marseille airport in South France is quite handy for reaching villas in Provence, St Tropez and also holiday rentals around Nimes and Montpellier (1 hour 20 mins drive).
Toulouse airport flights from UK 2023
Toulouse airport is fast becoming one of the major airports in Southern France. It handles around 9 million passengers per year and serves over 70 destinations. The airport is also an important cargo hub and is used by Airbus for flight tests and pilot training.
Toulouse is one of my favourite cities in France and the centre is really pretty. Toulouse is also quite handy to reach holiday villas in the Carcassonne area. There is a motorway link between Toulouse and Carcassonne and the travel time is under 50 minutes.
- Easyjet flies direct to Toulouse airport in South France from 2 UK airports:
- Bristol airport to Toulouse airport, France (Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday flights - all year)
- London Gatwick to Toulouse airport, France (Daily flights)
Ryanair flies direct to Toulouse airport from the following airports:
- London Stansted to Toulouse airport (Daily flights)
- Birmingham airport to Toulouse airport (Monday and Friday flights - all year)
- Edinburgh airport to Toulouse airport (Sunday and Wednesday flights - up to 31 March 2023; Saturday, Tuesday and Wednesday flights - during 1 April to 28 October 2023; + Friday - during 1 June-15 September 2023)
- Dublin airport to Toulouse airport (Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Wednesday flights - up to 31 March 2023; Monday, Wednesday and Friday flights - during 1 April to 28 October 2023)
Ryanair cheap flights to South France from UK & Ireland
Ryanair operate the following flights to South France from UK and Ireland :
- London Stansted to Toulouse and Nimes
- London Luton to Beziers & Nimes
- Manchester to Marseille, Beziers and Carcassonne
- Birmingham to Toulouse and Perpignan
- East Midlands to Carcassonne and Marseille
- Bournemouth to Carcassonne
- Edinburgh to Toulouse, Carcassonne, Nimes, Beziers & Marseille
- Bristol to Beziers and Marseille
- Dublin to Toulouse
Easyjet cheap flights to South France from UK & Ireland
Easyjet operate the following flights to the South of France from UK and Ireland :
- London Gatwick to Nice, Toulouse, Montpellier, Toulon and Marseille
- London Luton to Montpellier and Nice
- Bristol to Toulouse, Nice and Marseille.
- Edinburgh airport to Nice airport
- Belfast to Nice airport (summer season only, 2 flights per week)
- Liverpool to Nice airport (seasonal, 27 March to 28 October 2023)