Carcassonne airport provides cheap flights to Languedoc and the South of France, mainly through Ryanair (from UK, Ireland & Netherlands), but also with Iberia to Alicante and Atlas to Algeria. The 2020 schedule of flights to Carcassonne airport continues the upward trend of passenger numbers to this busy French airport.
Carcassonne airport has grown enormously over the last 10 years, mainly thanks to its association with Ryanair. Carcassonne airport is actually quite small, but I enjoy flying out of Carcassonne for that very reason. You can be dropped and through to the departure gate in under an hour. Although they have recently upgraded the terminal at Carcassonne airport, don't expect lots of shops and restaurants. There is a bar and restaurant upstairs, a shop (called Trib's) and a few car hire desks.
Carcassonne airport South France
The city of Carcassonne is famous throughout France on account of its magnificent Castle. You actually get a great view of Carcassonne castle as you fly into the airport. You really get a good sense of the scale of the castle when you see it from above. The inside of the castle is actually like a small village. The original castle was built by the Cathars and was destroyed during a siege of the city. The castle was then rebuilt by Simon de Montfort. But only 40 years later the city was again held siege, this time by the Black Prince. Roll forward another 600 years and the present castle was reconstructed on the site of the earlier fortifications. Visiting the castle is definitely the main attraction in Carcassonne, but there is also an excellent Australian animal park (yes you read that right, an Australian animal park) and a fantastic music festival during July each year. But the best time to visit Carcassonne is on Bastille day (14 July) when you will see the most amazing fireworks display.
Best places to stay near Carcassonne
Carcassonne is located in a long valley, with the Black Mountains to the north and the Corbieres hills to the South. The nearby Minervois wine region is one of the best in the area, closely followed by the wines of Corbieres which are really starting to make a name for themselves. The Canal du Midi runs through Carcassonne on its route from Toulouse to the Mediterranean coast. There are some really nice places to stay near to Carcassonne. I would certainly recommend:
- Mirepoix with its lovely medieval market square;
- the hill town of Fanjeaux,
- the small town of Lagrasse and the nearby village of Ferrals-les-Corbiers;
- the peaceful village of Chalabre to the South of Carcassonne and the picturesque village of Cuxac-Cabardes to the north of Carcassonne.
Also, if you are visiting Carcassonne, then you must make a special detour to the wonderful 3 Michelin star restaurant, the Auberge de Vieux Puits. It is amazing!
Cheap flights to Carcassonne airport 2020
I have no idea who runs Carcassonne airport, but they are not exactly going to make a great career in Airport Marketing. The amount of times we have been asked by customers "Which is the nearest airport to Carcassonne?". Maybe the CIA should employ these people to ensure that the location of Interrogation Black sites is also kept a secret. Carcassonne airport actually runs flights to 7 different countries, including UK, Ireland, Holland, Belgium, Spain, Portugal and Algeria. The flights from Carcassonne to Alicante in Spain are run by Iberia during the summer period only and Carcassonne flights to Oran in Algeria are operated by Atlas Atlantique Airlines (yep, I have never heard of them either!).
There is a busy schedule of flights to Carcassonne airport in South France during 2020. We have highlighted the Saturday flights to coincide with holiday villas that have a Saturday changeover during the high season:
- East Midlands airport to Carcassonne airport (Ryanair: Tuesday and Saturday flights)
- Edinburgh airport to Carcassonne airport (Ryanair: Tuesday and Saturday flights)
- Manchester airport to Carcassonne airport (Ryanair: Monday and Friday flights)
- London Stansted to Carcassonne airport (Ryanair: Daily flights)
- Dublin airport to Carcassonne airport (Ryanair: Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday flights)
2020 flights to Carcassonne airport France
Cheap flights to Carcassonne airport can be found from the following destinations:
- Alicante, Spain (Iberia)
- Bournemouth, UK (Ryanair)
- Eindhoven, Holland (Ryanair)
- Porto, Portugal (Ryanair)
- Glasgow-Prestwick, UK (Ryanair)
- Cork, Ireland (Ryanair)
- Liverpool, UK (Ryanair)
- London, UK (Ryanair)
- Charlrroi, Belgium (Ryanair)
- Dublin, Ireland (Ryanair)
- East Midlands, UK (Ryanair)
- Oran, Algeria (Atlas)
Car hire rental at Carcassonne airport
There are 4 main car hire rental companies at Carcassonne airport. The rental car pick up and drop-off zone is located directly opposite the main arrivals terminal, less than a 60 seconds walk.
Avis car hire rental
Tel : +33 (0)4 68 25 05 84
Rent-a-car at Carcassonne airport
Tel : +33 (0)4 68 71 69 97
Hertz rentals cars at Carcassonne airport
Tel : +33 (0)4 68 71 00 55
Europcar rental at Carcassonne airport
Tel : +33 (0)4 68 72 23 69
Where to next . . . ?
- Read more about the Things to do in Carcassonne in 2020 during your visit
- Read about the Cathars in Languedoc including the best Cathar castles and ruins to visit
- Interested in staying near Carcassonne? Check out our Carcassonne villas and gites to rent in 2020
- Read about the Best restaurants in Carcassonne to eat at during stay
Contact Iain by Email or by phone +33 6 95 00 28 44 if you have any particular questions you would like to ask about visiting Carcassonne and the South of France. If you liked the article then please share it with others using the Twitter and Facebook buttons below. I wish you a wonderful stay in the South of France.